Academic Coordinator II, Systems Engineering
University of California, San Diego
The Systems Engineering program within the Jacobs School of Engineering is being created to introduce undergraduate and M.S. engineering students to the discipline of Systems Engineering. Systems Engineering integrates multiple disciplines and specialty groups into a team effort forming a structured development process that proceeds from concept to production to operation of devices and/or systems. An example of a commonly used product that emerged from the discipline is the smart speaker, a voice activated device, that interacts with other technologies to perform everyday tasks such as turning on lights, playing music, searching the internet, etc. The importance of systems engineering is recognized by industry, and therefore producing students who understand this discipline well has become a high priority within the Jacobs School of Engineering. The development of such a program will help make the Jacobs School a premiere recruiting destination for top engineering firms.
The Jacobs School of Engineering seeks qualified applications to fill the position of Academic Coordinator, II (working title Systems Engineering Program Coordinator). The Systems Engineering Program Coordinator will play a key leadership role towards creating the new undergraduate emphasis in Systems Engineering which will be available to all engineering students.
The Systems Engineering Program Coordinator will be responsible for reviewing current related curriculum for appropriate content, and then evolving these courses into appropriate curriculum for the program. Once established, the Program Coordinator will be responsible for managing the program and for integrating it into department curricula across all six departments within the Jacobs School of Engineering. The Systems Engineering Undergraduate program is expected to consist of a 3-4 course series, taken over the course of the Fall/Winter/Spring quarters. This will be followed by a six month Co-Op internship program occurring the Summer and Fall quarters, immediately after the 3-4 course series is completed. Students will finish with a capstone project in the following Winter and Spring Quarters.
Working with the Systems Engineering Faculty Committee, Rady School of Management, the Institute for the Global Entrepreneur, and industry partners, the Systems Engineering Program Coordinator will be tasked to design courses relevant to students across all engineering departments and will include the following elements:
- Business Management
- Budget Management
- Project Management
- Soft Skills
In addition to curriculum development the Systems Engineering Program Manager will manage current relationships with and recruit new industry partners as program participants and curriculum advisers. This position also will also develop and oversee an Industry Fellow program, consisting of Visiting Researchers that are expected to be deployed across all engineering departments to help students integrate into real-world environments during the Co-Op projects.
Candidates must have a Master's degree in electrical engineering, engineering physics, computer engineering, computer science, mechanical engineering, business or a related area. Candidates with experience with or willingness to engage in activities that contribute to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
- Experience in curriculum development and teaching.
- Demonstrated experience in leadership roles, entrepreneurial experience in system design, and experience as a change-maker.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills to establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with students, faculty, and staff.
- Proven business skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Exceptionally strong organizational skills.
Salary and appointment level are dependent on experience and based on University of California pay scales.
Applicants are asked to provide information via the UC San Diego online application website, https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/apply/JPF01971.
Required Application Materials
The application must include
- Cover letter
- Teaching statement describing your philosophy on developing curricula and Teaching evaluations
- List of references
- Diversity statement summarizing past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion and/or plans to make future contributions. For further information about contributions to diversity statements, see http://facultyexcellence.ucsd.edu/c2d/index.html and http://soeadm.ucsd.edu/ppi/academic_personnel/diversity/docs/C2D_Expectations.pdf.
Review of applications begins January 15, 2019 and continues until the position is filled.
For applicants interested in spousal/partner employment, please visit the UCSD Partner Opportunities Program web site:
The Jacobs School of Engineering is committed to building an excellent, diverse and inclusive faculty, staff and student body (http://www.jacobsschool.ucsd.edu/diversity/).
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity (http://diversity.ucsd.edu). All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status.
- Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
- Cover Letter
- Statement of Teaching
- Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our [Faculty Equity](http://facultyexcellence.ucsd.edu/c2d/index.html and http://soeadm.ucsd.edu/ppi/academic_personnel/diversity/docs/C2D_Expectations.pdf.
- Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
How to apply
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information
To apply, please visit: https://apol-recruit.ucsd.edu/JPF01971
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency