Administrative Assistant - Counseling & Education Support Services (CESS)
Closing Date/Time: 12/20/2018 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
This full time, Administrative Assistant position provides varied and complex office administrative assistance to the Dean of Counseling & Education Support Services (CESS) and associated staff.
In addition, an Administrative Assistant position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 12,000 students per term, of which 44% are LatinX, 5% multi-ethnic, 3% Asian, 1% African-American, 1% Filipino, .25% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and .19% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2017. At Cabrillo, over 52% of students are students of color and 59% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
- Serves as the liaison between the Dean of CESS and students, staff, faculty, community organizations, governmental agencies, contractors, vendors, and others by providing information and assistance regarding various College programs, schedules, procedures and requirements, and resolving administrative problems
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls
- Screens requests and schedules appointments with students, staff, faculty, and others
- Receives complaints and concerns from faculty, staff, students and others and responds appropriately in accordance with College policy
- Performs a variety of administrative support duties such as coordinating the administrative details of programs such as planning, scheduling the use of College vehicles, receiving and directing requests for building maintenance, attending meetings, and providing support for Guided Pathways
- Prepares and processes a variety of purchase orders and similar documents
- Reviews and verifies a variety of transactions, payments, and other data
- Monitors budget allocations and expenditures, maintains financial and statistical records, and prepares financial reports
- Assists in developing program budgets
- Researches and compiles a variety of informational materials from sources both inside and outside the office, including material for submission to the Governing Board
- Drafts, edits, and prepares agenda items for the Governing Board
- Assists in the selection of support staff or student assistants
- Provides work instruction as required
- Opens and sorts mail, attaches pertinent backup materials, and prepares responses
- Operates standard office equipment and various software to produce correspondence and reports such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, and databases
- Maintains the Dean of CESS calendar
- Schedules, arranges for and attends meetings, and prepares minutes
- Reviews finished materials for completeness, accuracy, format, compliance with policies and procedures, and appropriate English usage
- Prepares and/or reviews for accuracy timecards and other personnel documents
- Organizes own work, sets priorities, and meets critical deadlines
- Makes travel and lodging reservations
- Organizes and maintains various files which may involve confidential information
- Purges files as appropriate
- May direct the work of assigned staff on a project or day-to-day basis
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school AND three (3) years of experience performing complex office and administrative support.
- Two (2) years of college-level coursework in business, Computer Applications/Business Technology or related to area of assignment
- Experience in an educational setting
- Standard office administrative practices and procedures, including filing, and business letter writing
- Organization and function of an educational institution
- The terminology and basic principles and concepts of the administrative or instructional functional areas to which assigned
- Applicable federal, state, and college laws, rules, and regulations
- The operation of standard office equipment, including a computer and various software
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary
- Recordkeeping and filing principles and practices
- Basic budgetary principles and standard business mathematics
- Apply and explain relevant laws, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Provide varied office administrative assistance to staff
- Organize work, set priorities, meet critical deadlines and follow up on assignments with minimum direction
- Research, compile and summarize a variety of information
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
- Coordinate the work of temporary staff and provide instruction in work procedures
- Establish and maintain detailed and accurate records and files
- Operate standard office equipment to produce correspondence, reports, and other written materials using various software
- Use initiative and judgment within established guidelines
- Maintain confidentiality of information
- Maintain the calendar for the administrator
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
Salary: *$3,527 to $3,889 per month to start; seven-step schedule to $4,727 per month. Full-time, 12 months per year; Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued district funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work-related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
- Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of college level coursework in Computer Applications/Business Technology or area related to the assignment
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birthplace, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on the appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Thursday, December 20, 2018.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency