Assistant Director/Director for Strategic Communications
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanitys urgent challenges.
The Assistant Director/Director for Strategic Communications assists the Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Communications with all strategic communication and digital efforts for USD's seventeen NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletic teams. The Assistant Director/ Director for Strategic Communications is assigned to specific sports by the Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Communications. Assignments include home game coverage and travel to selected away contests, creating and editing digital content, writing assignments, and hiring of game staff for assigned sports. The Assistant Director/Director for Strategic Communications also performs duties related to developing unique content and deliver strategies to promote and tell the story of University of San Diego Athletics. This position receives general supervision from the Associate Athletic Director for Strategic Communications and supervises Supervises game staff workers, student assistants and work-study students for assigned sports. Co-supervises office student assistants along with the Associate AD and other staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Integrated Marketing Communication
- Assist with digital strategy and social media initiatives.
- Tell USD Athletics story to reach local, regional and national levels.
- Complement and support the revenue generation team (marketing, sales and development units) by participating in our annual marketing campaign.
- Assists with creating graphic content.
- Assists with producing website content.
- Serves as primary technical support contact for the Athletic Communications office. Assists in setup, use and troubleshooting of equipment, such as audio/video equipment, in-game stats software (eg. Statcrew, StatBroadcast), video streaming software (eg. Stretch), audio broadcasts, etc.
- Responsible for various assigned sports.
- Hosts visiting media and sports information personnel.
- Coordinates press releases, statistics and information requests for assigned sports.
- Constructs and maintains team, coach and player files. Maintains files on athletic department history (including photos, team statistics and records) and media relations administrative data.
- For home contests, responsible for media relations staffing, including announcers, clock operators and statisticians, and for posting all local, WCC, MPSF, NCAA and national post-game results plus other press releases to all media outlets.
Communications Training and Development
- Provides training and guidance to coaches for use of social media, brand responsibility and recruiting assistance.
- Assist in developing digital skills with student-assistants and work-study staff.
Minimum & Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelors degree, preferably in Communications or Journalism; Masters degree preferred.
- Assistant Director: At least one year of experience in athletic communications office; two years preferred. Director: Two or more years of related experience.
- Understanding of NCAA rules and regulations strongly preferred.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate, orally and in writing, with local media, USD employees, and national media outlets.
- Excellent writing, oral and computer skills.
- Understanding of sports and statistics.
- Excellent skills in the use of specific equipment and tools as identified below.
- Evenings and weekend work expected due to working home contests.
- Knowledgeable with video equipment and post production software for video editing.
- Functional knowledge of video streaming and elements of a live sports video production/broadcast.
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Evening and weekend work essential.
- Successful completion of required background checks.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- CPR/first aid certification required within six weeks of employment
- California drivers license required background checks.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Special Application Instructions
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Note: The position will be hired either at the Assistant Director or the Director level depending on the experience of the candidate selected.
Hours per week: 40
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
To apply, visit http://jobs.sandiego.edu/cw/en-us/job/492538/assistant-directordirector-for-strategic-communications
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency