Computer Systems Maintenance Technician
Closing Date/Time: 3/4/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Information Technology
This full-time, (100%) Computer Systems Maintenance Technician will work at the Cabrillo College Watsonville Center performing skilled installations, configurations, network installations (local area, wide area, and Internet), and simple and complex upgrades; operates, troubleshoots and performs maintenance on a wide range of personal computers and peripheral equipment; provides a wide range of support to users of local area networks and personal computers; configures a wide range of software; designs and recommends hardware configurations for end users; works with end users to define software solutions; documents all hardware and software configurations; provides end-user training; performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, a Computer Systems Maintenance Technician position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
- Configures and installs personal computer equipment
- Sets up and operates telecommunications and/or networking equipment
- Installs, tests and troubleshoots personal computer, local area network/wide area network/Internet and related hardware and software
- Processes orders for hardware and software for predetermined vendors
- Maintains inventory and related records of personal computer hardware, software, licensing agreements, etc.
- Works with users regarding personal and online applications while keeping abreast of changes in technology
- Trains end users in use of new equipment and software
- Monitors the computer installation room equipment and environment
- Monitors online systems and responds to inquiries from computer users
- Provides technical assistance and instruction to users in assigned areas
- Maintains logs and records related to the work performed
- Documents all procedures and software load procedures
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Equivalent to two (2) years of college-level coursework in computers and related technology or related field AND two (2) years of increasingly responsible experience working with operating systems and hardware configurations.
Please note: Additional experience may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis and/or additional education may be substituted for the experience on a year-for-year basis.
- Techniques and terminology used in the operation of personal computer systems
- Applicable operating environments, commands, and structures such as DOS, Windows, Macintosh, UNIX, Windows Server, and client-server environments
- Installation, configuration, operation, troubleshooting, maintenance, repair, backup and restore procedures for personal computers and network systems
- Personal computer and local area network hardware and software, operations and principles
- Personal computer applications commonly used at a community college
- Database programs commonly used on personal computers and in a client-server environment
- Internet access, installation of software, applets, hardware needs, security issues, email clients
- Personal computer system design options and specifications
- Techniques for communicating with individuals of diverse academic, ethnic, socio-economic and cultural backgrounds
- Install, configure, test and troubleshoot a wide range of personal computer hardware and software
- Monitor and respond to equipment and network system status messages
- Confer with users, supervisors and other technicians to troubleshoot and resolve problems
- Provide instruction to users in hardware and software capabilities, application and operations
- Keep abreast of changes in technology
- Organize and prioritize work to meet critical deadlines
- Maintain accurate logs and records
- Develop written documentation of procedures used in a clear, concise and readable format
- Assess current, and future computer and software needs and provide clear, written requirements
- Design and provide hardware and software specifications to end users to be used in purchasing decisions
- Read, analyze and interpret technical manuals, procedures, and instructions
- Define problem areas, collect and evaluate data, and make appropriate recommendations
- Make mathematic calculations accurately and rapidly
- Clearly and effectively present complex, technical information and issues, both orally and in writing, to both technical and non-technical staff
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Analyze detailed information and respond accordingly
- Exercise discretion and safeguard the confidentiality of information
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Trace, identify and resolve hardware and software malfunctions
- Appropriately respond to system-generated messages
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work, including staff, users, operating departments, and representatives from vendors
- Must be able to safely lift and move boxes and equipment weighing up to 40 pounds, and to move heavier equipment with assistance
- Must be able to crawl, bend, stoop, and work in small spaces, and walk and stand for extended periods of time
- Must be willing to work days, evenings, and weekends at on and off campus locations
- May be required to possess (at time of hire) and maintain a valid California driver's license and a safe driving record in order to drive a vehicle, including college carts
Watsonville Center - Full-time, 100% assignment, 12 months per year; (40 hours per week), Monday through Thursday, 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m, with evenings and weekends as required. Starting salary: $4,083 to $4,502 per month*, plus shift differential. Bilingual desired.
Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued district funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
* Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work-related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a generous benefit stipend for employees plus dependents that employees apply towards benefit selections for medical, dental, life, and short-term/long-term disability insurance. Depending on health plan selections, in many cases full-time employee net out-of-pocket for benefit premiums may be $0 or otherwise relatively low.?
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Employment Application
- Job-related resume
- Verification of educational and experience qualifications ( (Download PDF reader)Foreign transcripts must be translated to determine equivalency to U.S. standards. (Download PDF reader) Any fee for such translation is paid by the applicant.)
- Transcripts from all colleges attended showing degree conferred, if applicable (unofficial transcripts, copies, and downloads are acceptable) to demonstrate the qualification re: college coursework listed in this announcement. Please note diplomas are not accepted in place of college transcripts. If selected it is the responsibility of the candidate to provide official transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or other documents as may be requested OR
- Verification of experience qualifications:
- Experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis. Applicant must provide written evidence that proves additional experience is equivalent for purposes of substitution.
- Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of college-level coursework in computers and related technology or related field.
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birthplace, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: February 27, 2019.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency