This ad is expired.
INSTRUCTIONAL LABORATORY TECHNICIAN IV (Science/Nursing)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1800044
Cover Letter, Resume/CV
CLASSIFIED EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Nursing and Allied Health
First Review Date:
Evergreen Valley College
$51,857 - $63,219 Annual Salary (Range 86: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2016-2017). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes District paid medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, sick leave and 18 paid holidays.
The Instructional Laboratory Technician IV (Science/Nursing) reports to the Division Dean of Nursing and Allied Health at Evergreen Valley College. The position supports the nursing simulation lab, skills labs and division office duties as assigned. The work schedule is 12-months per year; 40 hours per week; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. This classified position is grant funded and is contingent upon yearly funding.
Coordinates, maintains, prepares, directs and plans science laboratory services and activities in conjunction with established curriculum; orders, assembles, and obtains necessary supplies and equipment; and provides technical staff assistance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform a variety of coordination, preparation and planning in the operation of a large science laboratory facility supporting instruction.
- Confer with instructors to determine laboratory needs and anticipated activities.
- Prepare and arrange for the preparation of a variety of living cultures, chemical solutions, reagents,
andspecimens, chemistry, physics and physical science equipment to be used in science laboratory experiments, exercises, practices and demonstrations as assigned.
- Analyze and resolve, or assist instructional laboratory personnel in solving problems of inconsistent results in classroom exercises.
- Utilize proper safety precautions and procedures in handling all types of laboratory specimens, reagents, chemicals, lasers, power supplies, hazardous waste and general laboratory equipment.
- Schedule and prepare laboratory facilities for anticipated experiments, demonstrations, exercises, and other activities.
- Order, procure, pick up, and issue materials, chemicals, instruments, and equipment maintaining proper procedures and controls.
- Meet with vendors and suppliers as necessary; prepare purchase requisitions.
- Maintain inventory of capital and consumable supplies.
- Provide or arrange for the maintenance, testing and calibration of science laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Requisition repairs as necessary.
- Maintain security and ensure the safe and proper handling, storage, and labeling of hazardous materials and hazardous waste which may include performing any departmental inspections as required by regulatory agencies.
- Obtain and maintain Material Safety Data Sheets.
- Provide technical guidance, assistance, and training to laboratory personnel in technical procedures and equipment usage.
- Provide orientation to students and new faculty on laboratory equipment, facilities, procedures and safe practices.
- Coordinate, maintain and update laboratory budget and provide information as to items to be requested in future budgets.
- Recommend measures to improve laboratory procedures and use of the equipment.
- Perform other duties reasonably related to the job classification.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Principles including analytical techniques, practices, materials, nomenclature, equipment, and instruments used in chemistry, physics, physical and/or life science laboratories as assigned.
- Principles and procedures used in inventory control, procurement, budgeting and supplies issuance.
- Planning, organizing, and scheduling techniques necessary to efficiently operate a large laboratory facility.
- Record keeping, statistical calculation methods and laboratory inventories.
- Proper safety precautions and procedures utilized in handling all types of laboratory hazardous waste and dangerous chemicals.
- Modern office practices and procedures including the use of Word and Excel.
- Apply language skills to read, analyze, interpret and follow laboratory manuals, periodicals, reference manuals, technical procedures and governmental regulations.
- Write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of faculty and students.
- Apply mathematical skills to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, proportions, percentages, concentrations, dilutions and volume.
- Apply concepts of algebra and geometry.
- Utilize reasoning skills to solve practical problems.
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Effectively communicate and interact with persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contracted during the course of work.
- Monitor expenditures and identify budgetary problems or needs.
- Lift and move up to 50 pounds.
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
1. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid California drivers license.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Bachelors degree with two semester majors sequence in college level chemistry, physical science and/or life sciences as assigned or equivalent; or four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience which includes a two semester majors sequence in college level physics, chemistry, physical science and/or life sciences as assigned.
2. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic back of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
3. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Experience working in medical or nursing simulation
2. Competency utilizing innovative technology
3. Ability to use wireless technology
4. Independently trouble shoot technology issues in the simulation lab
5. Good organization skills needed to manage ordering of supplies for highly utilized labs
6. Effective communicator
7. Strong problem solver
8. Ability to adapt technology and set up for the simulated learning environment
9. Effective team player
10. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the District's emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse classified staff consisting of 41% Hispanic/Latino, 26% Asian/Pacific Islander, 5% Black/African American, 1% American Indian/Native American, 22% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency