Instructor: Spanish and Translation & Interpreting (Part-Time/Adjunct)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Position #: 1500117
First Review Date:
Instructor: Spanish and Translation & Interpreting (Part-Time/Adjunct)
The San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is seeking a part-time/adjunct Instructor: Spanish and Translation & Interpreting at Evergreen Valley College.
The instructor's assignment will include the following:
1. Teach courses in assigned discipline by communicating subject matter clearly and effectively.
2. Teach a 100% load in the fields of Spanish and/or Spanish Translation and Interpreting. Course assignments include such topics as Elementary Spanish, Intermediate Spanish, Spanish for Spanish Speakers, Sight Translation, Consecutive Interpreting, Simultaneous Interpreting, Spanish Grammar and Composition, and Spanish/English Linguistic Analysis.
3. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
4. Support the Translation and Interpreting Program through activities including, but not limited to, recruitment and outreach, development of promotional materials, visiting schools and organizations, contributing to the development and grading of the admissions exam, conducting orientations.
5. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
6. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
7. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects, student recruitment and retention, and participation in campus life activities as needed in the discipline/department or district.
8. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
9. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g., grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
10. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
11. Maintain currency, experience and depth of knowledge in Translation and Interpreting.
12. Develop and use a variety of effective teaching techniques and assessment methods to engage student interest and to support students with special needs and a variety of learning styles, including the use of computers and information technology.
13. Participate in articulation and recruitment networking with high schools, adult education, and transfer institutions for the Translation and Interpreting Program.
14. Maintain currency and depth of knowledge in assigned area of responsibility and use methods and materials appropriate to the subject matter.
15. Foster a professional working environment.
16. Maintain primary use of Spanish in the classroom.
17. Incorporate information technology into the curriculum including technology specific to second language acquisition and translation and interpreting.
18. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Master's in the language being taught
Bachelor's in the language being taught
Master's in another language or linguistics
2. Degree or certificate in Translation and Interpreting
3. Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, gender, gender identity, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the students we serve and sensitivity to and knowledge and understanding of groups historically underrepresented, and groups who may have experienced discrimination.
4. Success integrating diversity as appropriate into the major duties outlined in the job description and in the duties listed in the District's hiring policy; or demonstrated equivalent transferable skills to do so.
1. Experience teaching Spanish at a similar level to similar populations
2. Documented formal experience in translation and interpreting in the legal, medical and/or educational fields
3. Knowledge or experience with alternative models of instruction (i.e. Sanako Lab, immersion programs, language laboratory learning, computer assisted foreign language learning, computer programs for foreign language learning, interactive materials and programs, and/or online instruction.
4. Qualifications to teach a second foreign language
5. Demonstrated ability to work well with colleagues and others in adapting to diverse situations or solving problems.
6. Demonstrated ability to address special language needs of Spanish-speaking students.
7. Travel, study, work or personal experience that reflects an understanding of cultural diversity.
8. Academic background in Latin American and/or Iberian culture and/or affairs
9. Experience teaching Spanish to Spanish speakers
10. Experience in outreach to organizations and educational institutions needing interpreting services
11. Sensitivity to the many varieties of Spanish spoken in the State of California.
12. Experience in curriculum development
13. Experience in developing innovative instructional approaches that address multiple learning styles
14. Entrepreneurial experience in building and promoting programs
Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Assignments may include day and evening responsibilities. This position is represented by the San Jose-Evergreen Community
College District Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
Please apply using the Direct Link below and select discipline Spanish:
Adjunct/Part-Time Faculty Employment Opportunities
Direct Link: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobid=56
Position #1500117, OPEN AND CONTINUOUS
Other part-time instructors are needed to teach classes in other disciplines on an as needed basis.
Please refer to http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities for a complete list of all employment opportunities at San Jose-Evergreen Community College District.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Special Licenses, Certificates, etc.:
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District:
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, race, color, language, accent, immigration status, ancestry, national origin, age, gender, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, transgender, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, and physical or mental disability consistent with applicable federal and state laws.
Human Resources/Employment Services, 40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113, (408) 270-6414.
Application Procedures, Notes and Contact Info:
Interested applicants MUST SUBMIT ONLINE ALL of the following materials by the closing date to be considered for the position (Posting at: https://sjeccd.hiretouch.com. Click "APPLY"):
1. A completed online San Jose/Evergreen Community College District POSITION APPLICATION
2. COVER LETTER (Must state how you meet ALL the minimum qualifications in EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE as described in the job announcement Minimum Qualifications section. Also, state how you meet other qualifications)
3. RESUME, and
4. TRANSCRIPT(S) - NOT DIPLOMAS - (unofficial or official copies) for stated degrees (having confer/award dates) or courses. Official transcripts will be required prior to employment start date should the position be offered. If foreign degrees, must submit Equivalency Certification (See #6 of the Instruction Section below).
If you do not have an electronic version of the transcript, you can get it scanned at Office Max, Office Depot, Staples, etc.; then attach the electronic version of your transcript to this online application at the later part of the application process.
For assistance, contact:
Office of Human Resources, Employment Services
40 S. Market Street, San Jose, CA 95113
Phone: (408) 270-6414 Fax: (408) 239-8818
Web site @ https://jobs.sjeccd.edu. or www.sjeccd.edu.
To learn more about us and all our open positions, visit: http://www.sjeccd.edu/district-services/human-resources/employment-opportunities
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency