Library Specialist I
Closing Date/Time: 1/30/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Library Science
This full-time 100% (40 hours per week) Library Specialist performs library assignments in public service areas in the Library; provides check-out, return and basic informational services related to books and periodicals; provides support in the processing of library materials; performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, a Library Specialist position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
- Performs one or more specialized circulation or technical services library functions, such as, billing, reserves, copy cataloging, serials management, materials preservation, database maintenance, processing, and withdrawing materials, etc.
- Uses a variety of library and campus-specific software
- Maintains the integrity of a variety of database data elements, e.g., patron information, bibliographic record information, etc.
- Keeps library procedures and student training materials up to date
- Assists in general circulation services, including answering questions, giving information, retrieval of periodicals and handling the receipt of library fine payments
- Assists patrons in use of equipment and computers for information access
- Explains library policies and procedures to students, staff, faculty, administration, vendors and other libraries
- Assists library professional staff and refers difficult or unusual problems to appropriate professional staff members
- Examines and assesses items for damages
- Mends books and other materials
- Maintains files and records
- Opens and closes the library
- Assists in the recruitment and selection of student assistants; provides instruction in work procedures
- Trains and oversees student workers in library policies and procedures in assigned area
- Operates a variety of standard and library office equipment, including a computer and various software such as word processing, spreadsheet, and databases
- Coordinates library's social media accounts and presence
- Produce, track, and reviews statistical data, in assigned area; prepares a variety of periodic and special reports
- Assists students and others in safe use of specialized equipment, computer hardware and software, and procedures and processes in assigned area
- Identifies and resolves problems, such as patron complaints, lost materials, non-receipt of ordered library resources or breach of security situation
- Assists in a variety of assigned special projects and services
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Library Specialists are primarily identified as team members of the Public Services or the Technical Services areas who may be assigned one or more specialized responsibilities as represented by, but not limited to, the following duties:
Oversees services and the work of student assistants at the circulation desk
Manages reserve system, including working with faculty and division offices; processes materials for online course reserve system; bibliographic verification
Public Service/Patron Financial Accounts
Coordinates and maintains patron billing records; resolves problems
Education and Experience:
Equivalent to graduation from high school AND one (1) year of library work experience related to the specialized area, or related work experience (e.g. bookstore, museum, help-desk, cataloging/organizing materials which requires data recording).
- Experience working with a diverse population
- Experience in an academic library setting
- College-level training coursework in library science or library technology
- General academic library services, practices, terminology and functions
- Library public desk etiquette and methods of providing information
- Basic library practices for processing books and periodicals
- Automated library systems to perform library functions
- Business mathematics
- Standard office practices and procedures
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling punctuation, and vocabulary
- Perform library, public and/or technical service work effectively
- Use initiative and sound judgment within established procedural guidelines
- Provide work instruction and oversight to student workers
- Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and the community
- Interpret and apply library procedures and rules
- Organize and prioritize work activities
- Operate standard office equipment to produce correspondence, reports and other written materials using various software
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Understand and follow oral and written directions
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends, as assigned
Salary: *$2,930 to $3,231 per month to start; seven-step schedule to $3,927 per month. Full-time, 12 months per year; Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work-related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a generous benefit stipend for employees plus dependents that employees apply towards benefit selections for medical, dental, life, and short-term/long-term disability insurance. Depending on health plan selections, in many cases full-time employee net out-of-pocket for benefit premiums may be $0 or otherwise relatively low.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
**To be considered, each applicant MUST SUBMIT:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
- Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of college-level training coursework in library science or library technology
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birthplace, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on the appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Tuesday, January 29, 2019.
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency